We are a Confused Society
Let me start by saying, I'm sorry if I ramble a bit on this one, as I start typing I'm not totally sure where I want to go with it.
If you have turned on the news or listened to the radio in the last few days I am sure you have heard about Debra Lafave. If not, here is a link to one of the articles, http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1752245&page=1 She is the teacher in Florida who admitted to having sex with the 14 yr old boy and this afternoon all charges were dropped. She admitted it!!!! Now here is where I will either gather agreements or people will think I'm some psycho. But do we need to start looking at these cases closer to really make determinations if the child is "traumatized" or not? And then from there really deciding whether or not the older person "manipulated" the teen into sex.
Lets be honest here, I have not seen photos of this 14yr old, but I do know that I heard it mentioned that he was around 6ft tall. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say he very well may have been a fully physically mature male. If he was, then he was definitely aware of all the fun things his "happy stick" was capable of doing. Here is qoute from the article "The boy at the center of this case, now 15, has reportedly been overwhelmed by the media frenzy. His mother decided it would be too traumatic for him to testify against his former teacher." I may be going out on a limb again, but the only trauma this kid is gonna suffer is to his arm from high fiving all of his buddies, his teacher was hot. And that becomes part of my point. Regardless of the age, does consensus mean something? (I ask that question with regards to 13 or 14 being a benchmark bottom line) I know when I was 14 yrs old if an older female came onto me I probably would have gotten so nervous, I would have pee'd my pants, then I probably would have run away. I was a late bloomer, but when I was 14, there were kids walking around my age and they had full beards, no joke. I can think of a couple of guys off the top of my head that were full grown by that point, I know because by the time I was 6 ft tall in 12th grade, these guys were shorter than me and never got any bigger. We as a society say its wrong for an adult (someone over 18) to have sexual relations with someone under 18. We get mad (upon hearing or reading about an incident) when when its a 16yr old but really appauled when its a 14yr old. Yet, as a society, we seem to have no problem selling midriff shirts to young teen girls, tight pants, thongs, skimpy bikinis or any other items that "sexualize" them, then we're shocked when an adult who is around them all time becomes attracted to them.
We tell our young teens about sex, why, because we see changes in them that indicate they are becoming old enough to procreate, and we want them to be aware of what can and will happen to them. By that conversation with them aren't we already admitting to ourselves and them they are old enough to have sex? Is the fear really that we as a society perceive that females are incapable of sex without emotional attachment but men, regardless of there age are? Is that why this broad is let off the hook and the guy in the same article is in jail? For my taste, there are way too many questions that really need to be asked and answered on this subject, because by law, a child sex offender has just been let free, and do you think her name will show up on any of the neighborhood watch lists? I don't, but it sure as hell should.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home