Ranting, or Just Pure Genius

Friday, October 27, 2006

I Think Its Time To Move

AHHHHH my lovely state of New Jersey. We now deem that same sex "couples" have the same rights as married couples, I guess we are just waiting to see if they will allow same sex marriage. I guess I get confused. Lets try to break this whole thing down a bit. I will be honest, I have not heard many of the reasons that gay couples want 1. the same rights as married couples and 2. the right to marry. Being a guy and always thinking fiscally, one of my guesses may be to be able to be afforded the same benefits that an opposite sex married couple receives. For instance, any tax breaks, filing joint returns, medical benefits or the ability to purchase those for your "partner". From a total outside view, it make sense to me. If I was in love with another guy, we made some sort of commitment to each other, I would want us to the ability to provide for each other the same way my neighbor does, I get it. Here is where it gets dicey. Where does it end?

I have my best friend, his name is also Jim, we have been friends 39 years of our lives. We live in two different states, but still speak on the phone 3 to 4 times a week. I can honestly say I love him. If we both didn't have families, we could easily live under the same roof and get along great. We would always care about each others well being. The only thing that would make us different from a gay couple is we wouldn't be having sex. Heck, you couldn't even say you need to sleep in the same bed, because when we were in our early 20's, we did that on a summer vacation because it was the only room in the hotel that the AC worked!!!! My point being, shouldn't we be eligible then for all benefits? My same friend has two older Aunts that live together, and have for years, they never married. Shouldn't they be given those rights as well? Shoot, probably would have saved them a ton of dough over the years.

Do you want to stop all the debate, I do. The first step is to get rid of common-law marriage, either you make a fuckin commitment or you don't. If you aren't married, then you aren't married. Once that is gone, you have an easier way to define marriage. Prior to "gay activism" the dictionary definition of a marriage was this : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law. Now there is second line stating person of the same sex as well. Anyway, the question would be going all the wayyyyyyyy back in time, why did people marry? I don't have the exact reason why, but my guess is that it had something to do with pro-creation more than it did wanting to spend your life with someone. The continuation of a blood line, the continuation of mankind. Here's a newsflash, put three gay male couples on an island, come back in 60 years and let me know how well the civilization is thriving. Shoot, go ahead and make it 100 couples, maybe that will give mankind a better chance to thrive.

This is not an anti-gay post. I may not agree with the lifestyle, but I have no right to tell someone how to live. At some point though, the U.S. has to draw the line on issues, not just this one. Hate to break the news to ya, but our founding fathers would be spinning in their graves if they knew how bastardized their original model for this country has become. Have we made a lot of changes for the better? We sure have, but don't fall into the mistake of thinking that all change is good.

3 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Kate said...

OK, I don't know where to start. As a good friend to someone gay here in Ohio - who has been "married" to another guy for a long time just wants his rights to be able to assume his property upon his death, file joint taxes, share health insurance, etc. All the things you mention in the post. And that is the founding concept on what is driving this initiative. Why shouldn't they get the same benefits as you and I? If they want to pay the marriage penalty tax, be my freakin' guest. And as far as procreation being the reason we get married, what can you say to an older hetero couple that gets married. The woman is obviously beyond the reproductive age, so what's their incentive?

As far as people interpreting it to their advantage, hasn't that been going on with just about ever other gov't policy? I don't see how 2 aunts can get married if they are blood-related like that. The law doesn't provide for that.

I think the founding fathers would be pleased to see that progressive change is continuing to happen in their land. What they were doing was considered quite radical for their time, too.

(That all being said, we're still friends, right?)

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger jim said...

Ah yes,

We are still friends, if we can't respect each others opinion then why are we in the U.S.

I think you missed my point a little. As far as the aunts or me and my best buddy go. If you are going to give "marriage rights" to gay couples, how is that any different than giving them to two good friends? What is the benchmark for deciding whether or not two people are "committed" to each other? How much of a commitment entitles one to the other's property upon death? How far do we go? Why bother having people get married at all? As long as two people live under the same roof we should just consider them "married" for all the purposes we dicussed. I'm not saying there aren't holes in the system, shit, that ditz Anna Nicole marrys that corpse, shows him her tits, he drops, and now she's entitled to millions? I don't think so.

And as far as penalty for being married on taxes go, I hear tons of people say it, but I have no idea what the f$$% they are talking about. I think its some urban legend. Prior to starting our own business, I always did our taxes myself. The tax advantages/write-offs you have and can accrue as a married couple, far out weigh those you can when you are single, unless your some kind of millionaire.

For some reason a lot of people have trouble with things being black and white. At some point you need to draw a line and say thats it, if you don't then eventually you can only evolve into a place of no rules. Lets take CJ for instance. I would assume at some point he has a line that he should not cross by himself into the street. What do you do when he takes one step over that line? do you say well its only one step, or do you say get back over the line, you're in the street? If you say well its only one step, then what's the big deal if he takes another? and another?

You said "Why shouldn't they get the same rights as you and I" My question is how are they like you and I? If your answer is they love each other, live together and are committed to being together through good and bad. Which would be a very legitimate answer. I will again circle back though and say how would that be different if me and my buddy Jim lived together?

The union of a man and woman is different because it runs the greatest odds of the continuation of our species.

I understand, gay men can have sex with women and have kids and many have. Some couples are unable to have children, and some couples like Tara and myself run the risk of problems with our children. These factors however, do not change the core concept of my previous paragraph.

I think your just mad cause I burned you on your last post haha

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, we are witness to the slow collapse of the United States. Take the low reproductive rates of "Americans", combine it with the influx of immigrants into the SW United States as a step by Mexico to re-annex US states. Throw in a few hundred million Muslims... sprinkle in a billion Chinese. Season with gov't corruption...crime...drugs. Wait 50-75 years... *ding* Sit back and enjoy the decline of the United States (i.e. Roman Empire).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home