Ranting, or Just Pure Genius

Friday, November 10, 2006

Awesome Video Found

So, I have been trying to partially clean up all the crap in my house I don't need. Find all the stuff that has been pack-ratted away for years, never to see the light of day again.... AND GET RID OF IT. So, i'm going thorugh stuff and I find this old concert video I forgot I had. D.R.I. Live at the Ritz in NYC. I popped it in and couldn't believe it. The concert was from June of 87, I was 20 years old and in the prime of my Metal/ Hardcore faze. D.R.I. was one of first bands to create what was considered crossover music. The sound and style that attracted both Metal heads and Skin heads. It was a great time in Hardcore music. They created a sound that brought together to different "cliques" of kids. There was one thing they never took into consideration. What happens when those two get together? Two words, fist fights. I was at a bunch of these shows and even as big as I was, you spent about half the show looking over your shoulder to make sure no one was taking aim at you. I was a metal guy with my mullet look, and those skins never did anything alone, if you fought one, you fought 20. You always kept you friends by your side. All that said, it never took away from the excitement and craziness of any of these shows, the D.R.I. video showed it all. Mosh Pits, tons of stage diving, and tons of fists being thrown!!! They had an interview with the band in video and I laughed at how young they looked. The singer was definitely the oldest, he looked about 25, the guitar and bass player both looked around 20 and the drummer looked like he was no older than 17 or 18. I figure after this, I'll see if they have a website and see what they are up to today.

Oh, and Tom, in the video there is a roadie at the side of the stage moshing around, wearing a Token Entry shirt!!!

8 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Paddy_Lament said...

I'm disturbed by the fact that you had a mullet - why didn't I know this before I roomed with you???
P.S. On a roll after hitting N.D. and Arkansas yesterday...

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger jim said...

Ah Thomas,

I never considered it a full blown Joe Dirt Mullet, but it was short on top and longer in the back.

I was good with Michigan and WAke yesterday. I will be taking a good look at Baltimore today !!!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Paddy_Lament said...

Ok Jim...I'm taking Baltimore -7 and my beloved Gang Green +10 1/2. I'm a little nervous about Balt...the payout is a little higher than usual. If these come thru, we should make book ourselves, and have Sonny Bleicher be our goon.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Paddy_Lament said...

Ok Jimmy the Greek....you screwed me on the Ravens. I'm looking forward to going against your pick for Bears-Jints.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger jim said...

I took the bears, You always need a good 4:00 PM backup in case the 1:00PM screws ya. I got it back on Dallas.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger jim said...

The Jets looked good today, I watched some of that one !!!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Your mullet has completely altered my opinion of you...!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Paddy_Lament said...

And I like Pitt +10 1/2 at home against W VA in the Backyard Brawl. (And yes, my life consists of little more than drinking & gambling).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home