Ranting, or Just Pure Genius

Monday, November 06, 2006

Get Rid of College !!!!

Recently, I have been in a lot of situations where I am around young working "professionals". I am amazed at how clueless these kids are. ( I know, 40 years probably said the same thing about me out of college). Here's what's bugging me. For some reason most graduates feel that a piece of paper ie... masters, doctrate, etc, entitle them to some large salary when they have absolutely no experience. Just recently I heard two young women speaking. The first mentioned an Uncle of hers who was an electrician who made around $60 per hour. The response from the second was, " Yeah, and I have a Masters" She definitely implied that 1. She should make more $$$ because she has a masters and that 2. Because he was ONLY an electrician he should not make that kind of money. This dimwitted broad never took into account that 1. This guy has probably been in the working world for about 20 more years than her. 2. He provides a much needed service, without guys like him she would have no lights, stereo, tv, ac, heat, the list goes on and on. 3. He gets paid a good amount because he has a skill that not many do (even though he didn't go to college to get it)

I have decided that not insurance, but college is the biggest scam in America. Americans pay exhorbanent amounts of money to get a degree. Kids come out of college with a whole bunch of book theory and large amounts of debt. You need to spend the next year or two knocking book theory out of their heads until they realize how the real world works. Take any job, even a doctor, figure out how much schooling it takes to receive the degree(s) needed. Now take the prospective student and have them apprentice those amount of years instead of "going to school" Our course it would need to be more detailed than that. There would be tests that need to be passed, both to start and finish an apprenticeship. It would save Americans tons of $$$ and get all those lazy ass professors who make tons of dough back into real world to see if they can really hack it or not.

I am convinced, their is not a single job that can't be learned on the job. This would help to begin the elimination of the seperation of classes. The rich kid is no longer gauranteed a high end spot somewhere just because they have a degree from Havard. Connections will always be important, but it would be a start to leveling the playing field and getting only the best Americans doing the jobs they actually want to work hard for. This is not a socialist attitude, this is more of true "American" view in that hard work will always pay off, and the slackers can take a back seat!!!!

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Kate said...

My my, Mr Montague, where would the world be without your opinions?

I agree that the electrician has every right to get $60/hr. Beyond screwing in a light bulb I have no idea how it illuminates my living room. But the "broad", as you refer to her as, is pissed off she isn't making as much money with her master's degree, because in reality she just attended a really expensive vocational schooll. The reason you got to college is to become more educated, not to get a better job. Much of the problem with students coming out of college is because it has been put into their heads that having a college degree is a ticket to a better paying job, like it's a vocational school or something. Everyone and their brother is attending "online colleges" these days, and they think they are getting as good of an education as if they attended an actual school, which is, of course, a huge lie. Maybe this chick got her master's at the "University of Phoenix". I hear they let everyone in.

But one thing I believe is that is college is do goddam important on a resume, than we need to start coming up with funds to help people pay for them, because these kids walking out of college with huge amounts of debt does the economy NO good. It should start at the bottom on the local level, and I think we should have public colleges. And I mean, real public colleges. Like we have public high schools.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger ConstructionDeal.com said...

I'm a big fan of college. You get out of it what you put into it. The little closed-minded people who only think about how much they'll make or feel entitled won't ever really amount to much, whether they go to school or not.

College teaches you how to think. It's not the papers you write or the tests you take. The benefit of college is that you can go on to become an electrician, if you want. And then start your own company of electricians. And then go on to a job as a director of marketing if you want. The electrician would have a helluva hard time moving on to anything else without that piece of paper.

Oh, and apparently I can't post if I'm not a Blogger blogger. I'm L.A. Daddy (http://www.ladaddy.com) but I'll sign in under my work account.

You can allow everyone to post by going in to "Comments" and click on Allow Everyone to Comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home